Thứ Sáu, 7 tháng 1, 2011

U.S. Diplomat Injured / U.S. Deeply Concerned by Incident


Mark C. Toner
Acting Deputy Department Spokesman
Daily Press Briefing
Washington, DC
January 6, 2011


QUESTION: So there’s absolutely nothing that you can tell us?
 
MR. TONER: We really don’t - I mean, what we’ve heard so far is precisely conflicting reports. So frankly, rather than give those any kind of momentum or life, I’d rather just wait until we have the facts.
QUESTION: Conflicting media reports?
MR. TONER: Conflicting media reports.
QUESTION: Can we stay – stick with Americans in distress?
MR. TONER: We can stick – I don’t know; what are you talking about?
QUESTION: Vietnam.
MR. TONER: Oh, very good.
QUESTION: What exactly happened, as far as you know, and what are you doing about it?
MR. TONER: Well, as far as I know, there was an incident. There was an incident and our U.S. diplomat, Christian Marchant, was injured – not seriously, but he was injured during that incident. We have officially registered a strong protest with the Vietnamese Government, in Hanoi as well as with the Vietnamese ambassador here in Washington, and we’re waiting for a full explanation of what – frankly, what happened.
QUESTION: This was an incident between Mr. Marchant and Vietnamese police?
MR. TONER: Again, we’re trying – it’s appeared to be – it appeared to be an incident between him and security personnel. It was on his way – he was attending a prearranged meeting with Father Ly in Hue.
QUESTION: It was government security personnel, and he was beaten up, or –
MR. TONER: Again, we’re looking for a full explanation. He was injured. He is up and walking around now, but he was injured during the incident.
QUESTION: Well, what was the extent of his injuries?
MR. TONER: I don’t really want to get into it, but he was – I, frankly, don’t know what the extent of his injuries were. I know that he was limping afterwards.
QUESTION: When was this?
MR. TONER: Good question. January 5th.
QUESTION: And when you say that you’ve registered a strong protest in Hanoi and with the Vietnamese ambassador here, does that mean that Kurt Campbell called him in or that he was called in this building to hear your protest?
MR. TONER: Our U.S. Ambassador in Hanoi issued a strong protest, and it was handled here. It was handled by our DAS, Joseph Yun.
QUESTION: But what does that mean? Does that mean that – does that mean that the Ambassador was summoned here?
MR. TONER: Like I said, he – yes, he was summoned here.
QUESTION: And then the protest was – and then –
MR. TONER: Both – I said, both in Hanoi and – yeah, our Ambassador in Hanoi registered –
QUESTION: Your ambassador in Hanoi is, like, heading to the – he’s on the plane now, right?
MR. TONER: According to this, it says he issued a strong protest.
QUESTION: Okay, but the bottom line is that the Vietnamese Ambassador to the United States was summoned to the State Department today and you lodged a protest with him, and it was DAS Joe Yun who did that.
MR. TONER: Correct.
QUESTION: Okay.
MR. TONER: I don’t know if it was today.
QUESTION: But you said you don’t have all the details about the injuries, and – do you have the details of the incident?
MR. TONER: Well, I have explained them to the fullest possible extent that I’m going to explain them, but we’re looking to the Government of Vietnam to provide us with an explanation of what exactly happened.
QUESTION: Before lodging the complaint, we need to have the details, or how can we lodge a complaint? This is what I was trying to understand.
MR. TONER: (inaudible) I said there was an incident that took place. He was injured during that incident. He is up and walking around now. That’s the extent of the details I’m going to provide.
QUESTION: Can I go to a –
MR. TONER: Go ahead.
QUESTION: It’s a different subject.
QUESTION: No, I need to stay on this. Are you aware of any similar previous incident to this happening in Vietnam?
MR. TONER: You mean with a U.S. diplomat?
QUESTION: Yeah.
MR. TONER: I am not.
QUESTION: And there are some reports out there that say that Mr. Marchant was – has been given some award for his reporting on human rights. Do you know anything about that?
MR. TONER: Let me get back to you on that. Let me confirm that. I have – I believe I’ve heard something along those lines, but I’ll get back to you and confirm – I’ll confirm to everyone what is --

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét